Perfboard tutorial

06 July


In this post I'll show you how I do perfboard circuit when I want to prototype something quickly. There are a lot of different way so this is not THE best way, but my way. Hope you like it!

What we need:

  • perfboard - I'm using and old and battered small piece
  • solid core wire or salvaged component leads - yes, I keep them for real
  • wire cutter
  • exacto-knife - optional, used to strip the solid core wire
  • tape - paper tape or insulating tape as you prefer





Step 1 - planning a layout
You can find tons of layout on the internet or you can do yours from a schematic. If you are into the big world of DIY stompboxes you probably already know DIYLC software, but in case you don't here's a link. I think it's the best and the simplest software for this task.

For this guide I made this one from a schematic I found online, but the circuit itself is not really important here. I found very useful to do a reversed layout (like a "from below point of view" ) to help me shaping the traces.

Step 2 - cutting and soldering
I like to start from the ground and power traces and I usually do them with the solid core wire to make them thicker. You can use solid core or the salvage leads, the process is mostly the same:

  • cut a piece of wire long enough for your trace or pich some salvaged leads. You can use a single piece of wire or join more little pieces, especially when you use the leads. Strip the wire with the exacto-knife


  • Place your wire on the perfboard. Remember that you should not cover the hole corresponding to a pad in the layout, or the wire/component that needs to go through the hole will be blocked by the trace. So you can start your trace in the space between two copper pads. Find the right position and hold the wire in place with the tape. I mostly use paper tape, insulating tape is good too but can get sticky.


  • Solder the wire to the perfboard


  • Remove the tape and shape your wire according to the layout. You can add one or more solder point to stabilize it if needed

  •  Do the same with the other traces. You can skip the very small traces (2 pads, even 3) because we are going to make them with solder bridges


Step 3 - placing the components
Proceed as usual from the smaller and lower components (resistors, diodes) to the bigger and higher (ele caps). Insert the component, solder the pads and then bridge them with the near wire or pads to connect them. Look often at the layout!





And that's it! With a bit of practice it's going to became a quick, easy and fun task!
Hope you like this "tutorial"!

You Might Also Like

0 commenti

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Instagram

Subscribe